Employment and Income Assistance Application Portal

The information you provide in this form will be used to determine and verify your eligibility for Employment and Income Assistance. Collection, use and disclosure of this information is done under the authority of the applicable legislations (e.g. Manitoba Assistance Act, Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy and Personal Health Information Act). If you have any questions about the collection of your information, please contact the Department of Families Access and Privacy Coordinator at (204) 945-2013 or 205 – 114 Garry Street, Winnipeg MB R3C 4V4.

  • Financial Assistance
  • Applicant Information
  • Spouse / Partner Information
  • Dependent Children Information
  • Type of Accommo-dation You Live In
  • Liquid Assets and Property Assets
  • Monthly Income
  • Employment / Education Information
  • Health Information
  • Your Rights and Responsibilities
  • What Happens Next?
  • Submit

Employment and Income Assistance (EIA) is a provincial program that provides basic and essential financial benefits for food, clothing, personal and health needs for Manitobans who are unable to financially pay for these needs. All Manitobans are able to make an application for EIA to see if they are financially eligible for income assistance benefits.

You may be eligible for EIA if you:

  • Are a resident of Manitoba
  • Need money to pay for basic needs (food, housing, clothing) for yourself and your family
  • Need money to pay for your health needs that are not covered by another program

However, the Department has other financial support programs that you could apply for if you are able to pay for most of your basic living costs but are having difficulty paying for some of your monthly needs.

There are programs that can help you with your rental costs in private (e.g. Rent Assist) or subsidized (e.g. Manitoba Housing) rental arrangements.

Other programs are there to help you with the costs of raising your children (e.g. Manitoba Child Care Program and Manitoba Child Benefit).

If you live in Winnipeg and are looking for work or are between jobs, Jobs on Market can help with your job search right away. Employment counsellors are on site to offer advice about your job search. You can also use computer and printing services and access job bank information to help with your job search planning. There is no cost to use Jobs on Market services. You may also receive help to pay for essential needs like food, housing and transportation while you look for work.

Getting financial help from these programs may mean that you do not need to apply for Employment and Income Assistance.

What would you like to do?

Learn more about the other Department programs that offer financial supports to low-income Manitobans.

Continue with the EIA Online Application Process.

Click 'LOAD AN EXISTING FORM' to load an existing copy of the form from your files. Navigate to the location of the saved file, select the file and click 'Open'.

EIA financial eligibility

This online tool will ask you questions about your personal, household, financial and employment-related circumstances so that EIA can begin to determine if you meet EIA financial eligibility. Please complete all the questions in each section that apply to you and your household.

This is not a formal application for EIA.

The information you provide will help you and EIA prepare for your intake appointment. Once you complete this online tool you will be given further information about what will happen in order to set up your formal EIA intake appointment.

Spouse / Partner Information

Not Applicable.

In Section 2, you stated that you have a spouse or common-law partner. Please complete the following section.

Immigration Status

Employment Insurance (EI) Status

Indigenous Status

Outstanding Warrants

Other Health Coverage

Click 'SAVE' to save a partial copy of your application in a secure location on your computer or flash drive if you would like to come back and complete it later.

Dependent Children Information

This section refers to someone who is living with you, who you financially support and who is under 18.

You can add a maximum of 8 children using this form. If you need to add more than 8 children, please contact your nearest EIA office.

Child 1

Immigration Status

Indigenous Status
Other Health Coverage

Click 'SAVE' to save a partial copy of your application in a secure location on your computer or flash drive if you would like to come back and complete it later.

Type of Accommodation You Live In

If you have shelter costs, you may be eligible for shelter-related financial supports. You will need to bring a copy of your lease or rental agreement.

If you do not have this information, you may have an EIA Rent Form completed by your landlord and bring it to your intake appointment

If you own your home, please bring your mortgage papers, property tax information and house insurance to your intake appointment.

If you only need help with shelter costs, Non-EIA Rent Assist for persons not on income assistance may be enough to meet your financial needs.

Note: Shelter costs will be considered for payment once applicants are found eligible for income assistance.

Click 'SAVE' to save a partial copy of your application in a secure location on your computer or flash drive if you would like to come back and complete it later.

Liquid Assets and Property Assets

You must bring documentation about all of your financial resources to your intake appointment to confirm that you meet EIA financial eligibility criteria.

You must bring information on value of the following financial assets:

  • cash and money in all your open bank accounts
  • investments, bonds, stocks, insurance policies
  • property (real estate) or vehicles you own
  • collections or valuables (ex: stamp collection, jewelry)
  • trust funds

Note: You must bring your bank statements that show the last 60 days of your banking activity, including accounts you don’t use very often or that you have closed recently.

EIA may not count these assets when reviewing your financial eligibility:

  • any money (called "liquid assets") you have up to $4,000 per person or a maximum of $16,000 per family
  • the value of your main home (called a "primary residence")
  • the value of certain vehicles and other essential property you own (ex: equipment you need to do a home business)
  • amounts in children’s trust funds up to $40,000
  • amounts in Registered Education Savings Plans
  • amounts in Registered Disability Savings Plans up to a maximum of $200,000

These are only some examples. Even though these assets may be exempt by EIA, you are still required to bring documentation of any financial resources you have to your intake appointment.

Monthly Income

Any income you or members of your household get must be reviewed to determine if you are financially eligible for EIA.

You must take steps to get and use all other financial resources available to you and your family. This may include federal benefits such as Employment Insurance and Canada Pension Plan benefits, child and spousal support, and other pensions. Your EIA intake worker will discuss this with you further at your intake appointment.

You must bring in all information about you and your household’s income. This is money you get from:

  • working, or self-employment
  • business, or farm profits
  • child, or spousal support payments
  • pensions, insurance benefits
  • financial settlements from an injury or lawsuit
  • interest, or dividends from investments or savings
  • free, or reduced rent, or room and board paid to you
  • sponsorship payments, inheritances, winnings (ex: lottery, gambling)
  • income in-kind (ex: goods and services provided to you)

EIA does not count the following as part of your income:

  • a portion of your wages from a job
  • part of rent or room and board paid to you
  • occasional financial gifts, up to $100 per person in the family
  • foster home/adoption subsidy payments
  • Canada Child Tax Credit payments
  • Income tax or GST credit refunds
  • Manitoba Prenatal Benefit Program benefits (Healthy Child Benefit)
  • earnings of children (under 18) who are in school, or are part of a full-time EIA-approved program (ex: technical training)

Even though EIA does not consider these sources of income, you must bring information about any of the funds you or members of your household get to your EIA intake appointment.

Employment / Education Information

Depending on your situation, you may have a “work expectation”. When you have a work expectation, EIA staff will help you prepare for and get a job. EIA can also help with employment and training programs, self-employment, benefits and services.

EIA is also designed to ensure that you will always have more money when you work. When you find a job, you will be eligible for an earnings exemption. You will be able to keep the first $200 of your net monthly earnings, plus a further 30 percent of any amount you earn over $200, before your EIA benefits are affected.

If your situation changes or you are having problems following your action plan, it is important that you talk to your case worker about this. If you have a work expectation and do not try to find work, or follow through on the steps included in your action plan, your EIA benefits may be affected.

Health Information

EIA can also provide additional financial assistance or health-related supports if you are being affected by a health or medical concern or if you have a disability that is affecting your ability to consider or look for work.

If you have a mental or physical disability that is likely to last more than 90 days and this disability keeps you from earning enough money to pay for your or your family’s basic needs, you may be eligible for additional supports under the EIA persons with disabilities category.

If you would like to apply for EIA as a Person with a Disability, please discuss this with staff at your intake appointment. Depending on your circumstances, you may be asked to submit an EIA Disability Assessment Report completed by your doctor.

Click 'SAVE' to save a partial copy of your application in a secure location on your computer or flash drive if you would like to come back and complete it later.

Your Rights and Responsibilities

If you are not satisfied with a decision made during your EIA application process, or once you are enrolled on EIA, or feel you have not been treated fairly, you may consider the following next steps:

  • speak again to your EIA intake or case worker. Things may have been misunderstood and can be explained better
  • if you continue to have questions or concerns, you may ask to speak to a supervisor
  • if you still feel the issue has not been addressed, you can contact The Fair Practices Office

Fair Practices Office

The Fair Practices Office provides confidential and impartial assistance to persons applying for, or receiving services under EIA and other Department of Families programs who feel they have not been treated fairly:

Staff from the Fair Practices Office will review your circumstances and concerns to ensure that:

  • you understand EIA eligibility requirements and rules, and the benefits you are able to receive
  • you are told the reasons why a program decision was made about your case
  • you are able to give your worker new or additional information to help them understand your needs or situation better
  • if you still feel the issue has not been addressed, you can contact The Fair Practices Office
  • For more information about the Fair Practices Office, please click here.

    If your issue remains unresolved, you may file a formal appeal with the:

    Social Services Appeal Board

    If you feel a decision under the Employment and Income Assistance program was unfair, you may appeal if:

    • you were not allowed to apply or reapply for income assistance
    • a decision on your request for income assistance was not made in a reasonable amount of time
    • you were denied income assistance
    • the amount of your income assistance was cancelled, suspended, changed or withheld
    • the amount of income assistance provided was not enough to meet your needs

    For more information on the Social Services Appeal Board, please click here

    What Happens Next?

    Once you SUBMIT your Employment and Income Assistance online application you will be given a confirmation number. You will need to give this confirmation number if you need to contact Employment and Income Assistance staff about any changes to the information you gave in this online application (example – change in your contact telephone number, or address)

    You will be contacted shortly about what you need to do to continue with your application for Employment and Income Assistance.

    Declaration of Information

    Please bring the following information to your intake appointment

    • Please bring all identification for you or your household members to your intake appointment.
    • Please bring all information about your assets (e.g. bank accounts) and income (e.g. employment paystubs) to your intake appointment.
    • Please have the EIA Direct Deposit form completed by your bank/credit union and bring it to your intake appointment.

    Contact Information

    How do you wish to be contacted?

    Click 'SAVE' to save a partial copy of your application in a secure location on your computer or flash drive if you would like to come back and complete it later.